Friday, September 30, 2011

Two funny conversations

One funny conversation was with Emily (BIG surprise, I know).  Through work, I found out about another family of 6 that makes x (a lot of money but after I got done writing this, Tim says I shouldn't say the amount due to confidentially reasons but it messes up my post so just imagine the largest amount of money you can imagine a family making and triple it!!!) a MONTH.  Now you may think that I meant to type a year, but no really, they make x a MONTH.  I can not even grasp this.  I was thinking about this all day and it happened to be the night I took Emily out for Kid of the Week.  This was the conversation...

Me: I am not going to give you the answer to this question, but I am just curious about your understanding of money in the adult world.  How much do you think Dad and I make a month?
Emily: Um... hm.... $300?
Me: (staring at her) Seriously?  Our house payment is almost $1,000 a month!
Emily: Oh.  Then $1,500?
Me (laughing): Okay, let's go about this a different way.  MOST people, teachers, policemen, carpenters, your typical jobs, make between $40,000-50,000.  Got it?
Emily:  Yeaaaaaaah.
Me:  A family at work makes X!!!
Emily:  (processing, processing, processing, then her jaw drops)
Me:  Yeah, that means we could pay off our house in 2 1/2 months.  That is cuh-razy!
Me: (processing, processing, processing, then...)  Emily, we pay you $20 a week to get the kids ready for school.  Do you really think that we would pay you $20 if we only made $300 a month???  Almost a third of our income???
Emily: Well, when you put it that way.....


Second conversation....
Background:  Matthew is completely obsessed with making Lego safes, Lego candy machines, and Lego pinball games right now.  To be honest, they are cool.  I never knew all the awesome things you could do with Legos.  But anyway, he is making all these candy machines and we only had vitamins for him to use as candy which seems sad so Tim went out last night to the gas station and bought 4 of those $.25 boxes of jawbreakers to use.  This afternoon, this occurred...

Matthew: Mom, I have $1.50 now.
Me:  Yeah?  How's that?
Matthew:  Emily gave me $1.50 for a box of the jawbreakers to take to school this morning.
Me:  Matthew!  Those were only $.25!
Matthew:  (giggling)  I know.
Me:  And Dad bought them!
Matthew:  (giggling)  I know.
Me:  That just seems wrong.
Matthew:  Will Dad be mad?
Me:  I think he will pretend to be upset but will privately be really proud of you.
Matthew: What do you mean?
Me:  Dude.  You just found a way to make money on something you didn't even BUY!!!  That is pretty smart!
Matthew:  Cool.
Me:  But I am not saying it is okay.

I am NOT the strict parent.  Can you tell?

No comments:

Post a Comment